Hobart and William Smith Colleges, informally known as “HWS” or “the Colleges” are Private Liberal Arts Colleges situated in Geneva, New York, United States. These Hobart and William Smith Colleges are for men and women respectively. Currently, 2229 undergraduates are following their secondary education and 214 academic staff members are working full-time in Hobart and William Smith Colleges.
HWS WEBMAIL SERVICE
Like all the other universities and colleges, “the Colleges” also have their webmail service as HWS Webmail, for the ease of engagement with college work of students and academic staff. This article is mainly focusing on that webmail service offered by “HWS”.
HWS WEBMAIL CREDENTIALS
When registering to Hobart and William Smith Colleges, the HWS credentials will be given. Using them, undergraduates or staff members can change the credentials on their own. However, the login interface does not allow users to sign themselves up externally.
HWS Webmail Login Page :
HWS WEBMAIL LOGIN
This topic contains a straightforward annotation of the login procedure of the HWS Webmail.
1. To use the HWS webmail portal, first of all, open a web browser, use the above link to go to the official login page of HWS Webmail. Or by simply type “HWS Webmail Login” in any search engine to access the login page.
2. Then the login page will appear with a nice background image as in the above screenshot.
(Note: Figure 2 shows the Login interface for PCs and Figure 3 shows for smartphones.)
3. Now, enter the credentials for your HWS account.
(Note: If you are a new user, you may have the account credentials from your authority of the HWS Webmail Portal.)
4. After a login session, a message will be shown which says, “Congratulations! You are now logged in successfully.” In evidence of the success.
5. From here, the HWS Webmail is accessible until the login session ends
If the login was not successful, there can be some common issues.
i. Password is case-sensitive. Be aware of the Caps Lock and Shift.
ii. Poor Internet Connection leads to timeout of the session.
iii. Turn off all the Virtual Private Networks.
If the password is forgotten, there is a Forgot Password option for that.
USING HWS WEBMAIL ON E-MAIL APPLICATIONS IN THE PHONE
Webmail is an email system in which the user has to access sent and received emails via a web browser with an internet connection. Roughly speaking, webmail is web-based. So, it is hard to be updated with webmail like HWS Webmail since the receiver cannot see the mail as soon as it is received. But mobile email applications can do that. As an example, as soon as a google account is received an email, the Gmail application notifies the user about the new email. But the thing is, almost all the colleges and universities are using webmail systems.
There is a nice solution for that. The Gmail application or another mobile email application can be connected with the HWS Webmail account. Follow these steps to connect the HWS Webmail Account to a mobile email application like Gmail.
1. Open the email application on the phone.
2. Go to accounts.
3. Tap “Add another account”.
4. Under the “Set up mail”, choose the “Exchange” as the type of the email account.
5. Enter the HWS email and tap the next button. (For example – firstname.lastname@example.org)
6. Wait till it loads the next page. Then enter the password.
7. Again, wait till the next page is being loaded. If the HWS email and password are matching, the application requests the following details and enters the following for them.
a. Username – Enter the HWS username
b. Domain – HWSMICRO
c. Server – webmail.hws.edu
d. Description – HWS (Recommended)
8. Then save the above settings. It may take a while to get your data to the email application.
Now, your HWS email is connected with the email application on the phone. Whenever the HWS Webmail Account receives an email, applications give a notification.
(Note: These steps are compatible with IOS too.)
HWS WEBMAIL LIGHT VERSION
WHS Webmail has a light version based on Outlook Web App. This is also known as the Outlook Web App version or OWA version. This version is mainly created for old web browsers that do not support the standard version of the web app of outlook, and for users having poor connections. The light version gives a simplified user interface of the standard user interface of webmail.
To activate the Webmail Light Version, follow these steps.
1. Open a web browser on your PC or smartphone and go to the Webmail Login page by the aforementioned link.
2. Enter the username and password of your HWS account and log in to the HWS Webmail.
3. Now, click the gear icon on the top right corner of the interface.
4. After clicking, a drop-down menu will appear and there is an option “Display Settings” as in Figure 7.
5. Click on the “ Display Settings” option.
6. After that, the Display Settings page will be opened and there are four tabs and select the last tab which says, “Outlook Web App Version”. Figure 8 shows the position of that tab.
7. At the bottom of that tab, find the checkbox with the caption “Use the light version of Outlook Web App” and do check the box. (See Figure 9)
(Note: If the light version of the outlook web app is already being used, the checkbox is also already checked. The light version can be deactivated by unchecking the box.)
8. After checking or unchecking the box, two “OK, cancel” options will be appeared in the top banner of display settings as in Figure 10. Click “OK” to save the changes that have been done.
9. Now the light version is activated. But to change the version currently using by the browser, the tab, and the browser should be closed and logged in again. Simply saying, the light version interface can be seen from the next log-in session.
To summarize, this article contains important facts about using HWS Webmail. The reader can gain knowledge on how to log in to an HWS Webmail Account, what to do in an unsuccessful login, how to use HWS email on the phone, what is the light version and how to activate it. This may solve almost all the issues regarding using the HWS Webmail Service.