Southern Illinois University or the SIU is the oldest of the Southern Illinois University system. And also, a flagship university. SIU is a public research university founded in 1869 and situated in Carbondale, Illinois, United States. Southern Illinois University has many colleges and schools including the School of Medicine and the College of Business. Currently, 8299 undergraduates, 3067 postgraduates, and 4470 administrative staff members with 1396 academic staff members are working in SIU. Like almost every university and college, Southern Illinois University is also offering university emails for people who work there. In this article, we are mainly focusing on SIU Webmail related information.
Claiming the SIU Webmail Network ID
Network ID plays a major role in the Southern Illinois University system as it can give access to almost all the technology across the university including email. When someone applies to Southern Illinois University, a DAWG Tag Number will be issued. This Dawg Tag Number is used to claim the Network ID.
Figure 1 – Login to get the Network IDGo through the following steps to claim the Network ID.
1. Open the web browser and log on to http://netid.siu.edu
2. There is a “New user? Claim your Network ID” option and click that. (See the Figure 2)
3. The next page will request user information. In case the user does not know the Dawg Tag, there is a “Dawg Tag Lookup” option in the bottom left.
4. Fill in the above information, click the reCAPTCHA box, and click submit.
5. Read the “Acceptable Use Standard” information and click the “Accept” button.
6. The Network ID will be shown here under User Details. (See Figure 3)
7. Click next and answer the security questions and submit them to save.
8. Enter a recovery email and a phone number on the next page.
9. See the “Password Rules” and set the new password.
10. After all these steps, it will be redirected to the initial login page. Log in and fill in the requested information such as legal first name, legal last name.
SIU Webmail / Siu.edu Webmail
These emails are created under the siu.edu domain. This may change from school to school or college to college. For example, SIU School of Medicine does not use the aforementioned siu.edu domain. SIU SoM uses siumed.edu instead of that. Once someone registered at Southern Illinois University, a Webmail will automatically be assigned. And the common format for the email is fir[email protected]. And the password of the email is the Network ID password. (Read “Claiming the Network ID”)
SIU Webmail Login
According to the SIU webmail login page, (https://siu.edu/webmail/index2.html) SIU webmail system is transitioning to Exchange and Office 365 from Gmail. Three email systems can be used to access the university email during the aforementioned transitioning process.
• Office 365/Mobile Dawg
• SIU Online Webmail (webmail.siu.edu)
Using Office 365/Mobile Dawg
To log in with Office 365/Mobile dawg, a user should go to https://office.siu.edu. The login page in Figure 4 will appear and to log in, type the SIU email address, click next and enter the password.
To log in with Exchange/Outlook, there are two options. Users can either go to https://mail.siu.edu and access the OWA (Outlook Web App) or using the Outlook 2013 Client.
Using SIU Online Webmail
Unfortunately, the SIU Online Webmail “webmail.siu.edu” is no longer exists. Try to access the webmail by the above methods.
SIU Webmail Password Reset
The password of the SIU webmail account can be also reset by following the claiming the Network ID steps.
How do I get my SIU Webmail to work on Android devices?
Go through the following steps and setting to set the SIU webmail on the Android phone.
1. Connect the phone to the internet.
2. Open Settings and go to “Accounts and backup” then to accounts. (See Figures 6,7)
3. Select “Add account” and then a list of accounts ty pes will be shown.
4. Select “Exchange” as the type. (See Figure 8)
(*Note: For older versions of Android, select “Microsoft Exchange” or “Corporate”.)
5. Then enter the SIU email address and tap the “Set up manually” button on the bottom left corner.
6. Enter the following settings.
• Domain/Username – enter the full email address
• Password – enter the Network ID password
• Server – outlook.office.com
7. Tap next and if a popup comes with a heading “Remort security administration”, select OK.
8. After that, there will be some options to select related to “Frequency of checking the inbox” and “Syncing”. Select the preference.
9. Finally, it will ask for a name for the account. Name the account and tap next.
10. Read the Terms and Agreements and tap Activate.
Now, wait till the email data is completely loaded and the account is all set!
How do I get my SIU Webmail to work on iOS devices?
1. Make sure the phone has an internet connection.
2. Open the Settings, go to “Mail, Contacts, and Calendars”.
3. Select “Add account”.
4. Select “Microsoft Exchange” as the type of mail.
5. Enter the following details.
• Email – enter the SIU email address
• Password – enter Network ID/SalukiNet password
• Description – SIU
6. Tap next, select the information that wants to be synced with the email, and save.
The account is now set up to work on the IOS.
How do I get my SIU Webmail to work on Macintosh computers?
1. Connect the computer to the Internet.
2. Choose the “Exchange” account and click on the Continue button.
3. Enter the name, SUI email, and Network ID/SalukiNet password.
4. If the entered details are valid, the Account Summary will be shown as in the following figure.
5. Click Continue and select all the information that needs to be synced with the SIU email.
6. Click Done and now the email is all set to work on the Macintosh computer.
How to see my most recent logins on SIU Webmail?
1. Using OWA (Outlook Web App)
• Go to My Account (microsoft.com)
• Scroll down and go to “My sign-ins”.
• All the recent sign-ins will show here.
• If there is an unsuccessful sign-in from an unknown location, it is better to change the security information from https://mysignins.microsoft.com/security-info.
2. Using Office 365
• Go to Admin > Exchange admin center > Recipients > Mailboxes
• The last logon details will be shown at the mailbox usage
To summarize, the Southern University email which uses the domain siu.edu can be accessed by Office 365 and Outlook Web App. The reader will gain an idea about the Network ID, how to sign in to the SIU account in the aforementioned methods, and also about how to set up the email on android, iso, and Macintosh devices. Further can be known about how to check the last login details of the account. From the article, the reader may clear almost all the questions regarding the SIU Webmail.
Learn more about other Webmails here – https://webmailadvice.com